Pages

About the blog

Welcome to my blog. The main focus of this blog is to share my explorations into handmade goods, mostly of the needlework kind. My interests are varied and include reading fantasy and urban paranormal romance, cross stitching and keeping hamsters. I must inform you that all of the pics and text on this blog are copyright protected unless otherwise stated and are not to be used in any other written or pictorial form without written permission from me. I give credit to the creator of the chart or the publication that published them in the caption. If you feel I have infringed on a copyright, please contact me ASAP. Whew..OK, now on to the fun...Thank you and Welcome.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mostly Sewing

Dear Stitchy Friends,

I thought to share two of my sewing projects with you. I learned about making ORT keepers from another blog. Here is the link: Instructions for Ort Bag Basically, its a triangular shaped container made of out fabric. I cut two pieces of fabric 9.5" on all three sides, sewed the two sides right sides together, turned it inside out, closed the opening, and then sewed the sides together only half way so that I could turn the points down, and tacked with a button. I made  a bunch (about 5) and have given them all away. Here is a pic of the one that I kept for myself.


Here is a pic of a little pillow that I made...I've got another two turkey designs waiting to be turned into pillows. This was a new way of finishing a pillow for me. I liked how it turned out but I thought it was too long.




OK, please be forewarned, this next pic is of a dead hamster...just kidding!!! Its a pic of a very happy, content and peaceful hamster. Aahhhh...the good life. Who knew a hamster could have it so good, huh?


On the family side, the girls' last day of school was today and they are feeling a bit blue about being away from their friends. Now comes the pressure of finding them something to do all summer and keeping their brains from turning into mush. When I was a kid, we spent the summer running around the neighborhood, being fed by neighbors and running errands for them. Back then, the city (Brooklyn) didn't hassle folks for opening up the johnny pumps and we kids would spend hours running and splashing in the streets! The ice cream would come at the same time every day and we were always assured a treat by a generous neighbor willing to pay for all of the kids' ice creams. The cute Italian guys in their muscle shirts would wash and wax their TransAms and we girls would just swoon as we would watch them. At night, the parents would pull out lawn chairs onto the street or sit on the stoop and tell stories. Sometimes, the Puerto Rican boys would bring out their congo drums and the rhythms of drums and timbale would fill the hot, steamy night air. The little ones would fall asleep on a lap to  the soothing clicking of dominoes. The 70's in Brooklyn were hard times, we never went on vacation, but they were good times, too. Filled with friends, real neighbors and the assurance that we weren't alone and could always find a helping hand.

Anyway, hope your summer is filled with not just the old memories, but also the magic times that will make for new memories and stories to tell.

Hugs,

Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment